Thursday, November 4, 2010

Austin Powers Does Halloween

And here I was talking about schedules yesterday and now I’m breaking mine. Actually, this is just a breather from the weekly writing prompts. I have been snowed in at work and so could not get my creative juices going....

I’m gonna jump on the Halloween bandwagon although this post is just a little late for the occasion.

We had recently been invited to a Halloween party. It was actually quite a rush as we got the invite on the Thursday night and the party was on Saturday. The theme was the 1970s.

My hubby, being the traditionalist that he is, was adamant that he will not be donning a costume. He was even contemplating not to go to the party altogether. After much convincing, he finally relented and we decided that we will be renting some costumes the next day.

On the other hand, I was quite excited as I’ve never dressed up for a party before. Sure, I’ve been to formal do’s before but this was quite different. Basically, I had to be in character. Plus, this was an era that I barely knew. The last time I was in the 70s, I was still in nappies. I basically had to do some research and decide what I’m going to wear (and I just love doing that. It’s almost equivalent to shopping but not really buying, lol).

I decided that morning that I was going as a babe from an Austin Powers movie. Went to a costume hire shop and finally settled on a babydoll-type disco dress and a blonde afro wig. I thought this getup might give me the Foxy Cleopatra look better. Not to mention this was the only dress that fitted me in the whole shop, haha.

PHOTO CREDIT
This was the look I was going for...
On the day of the party, it turned out my character was not as shag-a-delic as I thought. Very little people knew of Foxy Cleopatra. Maybe I should’ve pressed my hubby harder to play Dr Evil so then people would know we were from the Austin Powers franchise.

Further, my look sorta inspired a bit of Marilyn Monroe (minus the mole) and so I could just be dressed in the wrong era. Methink actually that I looked like a fattened up Lady Gaga but hey, as long as I’m famous, lol!

And this was how I turned out....
I had so much fun at the party. Almost felt like being body-snatched as I didn’t want to change back to the Plain Jane that I really was. I looked so “real”, I swear if I didn’t move a muscle, people thought I was a real-deal mannequin.

In the end, I was ecstatic when I won best costume! Probably scared the pants off everybody (It was after all Halloween). And so, in my best Austin Powers voice I say, “Yeah, baby, yeah!”

3 comments:

warr_shee said...

looks like you had a great time at the party..time off from being a busy mommy

Verna Luga said...

Sis quiet close... kulang lang ng bronze make-up... hahahha.. kacute..

kimmy said...

oh! you look so pretty... seriously!