Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Look What My Mom-In-Law Got Me Into!

Today is my mother-in-law's 81st birthday. I'd like to share one cool thing about her and so this post is dedicated to her. This story goes a long way back, back when I visited the Philippines and first met my mother-in-law.

Back then, cross-stitching was the craze and as she was hooked on the craft, she proudly showed her new daughter-in-law (that's me) how to stitch a cross or two.

After watching and learning from her, it spurred me to buy the materials that I needed to start my own little project. I took this craft back to South Africa and began my own cross-stitching journey.

I must admit that this art has taught me that I have very little time for it at all :-) In total, I have only completely finished and framed 3 projects. My last project, which is pictured below, took me more than 3 years to complete. I even had to ask my cousin in the Philippines to send me the beads that I needed for the project as I couldn't find them here in South Africa. She had to send them via snail mail. :-)

And yet, even after knowing it takes me a long time to finish a project, I still went for a 4th one. My 4th cross-stitch (The Last Supper) has been under construction for the last 6 years already. I haven't touched the thread for....I can't remember anymore. I am probably wavering in my interest in the craft....but I will always be proud of what I have done so far.

So for every cross-stitch enthusiasts and artists like our Inang (mother) out there, I salute you all for your talent and patience!

Happy 81st, Inang!

No comments: