Friday, May 27, 2011

Mmm.....Mango!

Ever since I can remember, I have always had this thing for mangoes.

Being a self-confessed picky eater, a food that can hold the title of "never ever turned down yet" in my life should definitely be some kind of wonderful. And that is how I truly feel about mangoes.
NOT MY PHOTO

Back in the Philippines, I opted for the already ripe, yellow-skinned, sweet-smelling kind (pictured above). And I used to cut them up in exactly the same way.

I haven't had one in years. Makes me kinda miss it now just talking about it. But before I get too distracted......

Nowadays my mangoes are no longer yellow as South African mangoes are normally red in colour (pictured below). And the redder the mango, the more ripe it is. It was really a culture shock when I first arrived in this country and I couldn't find a single mango. Only afterwards did I realise that the fruit I was looking for was just "dressed" differently :-)
NOT MY PHOTO
And now that the mango season has just ended (it ended in April), I can't wait for the next season to start, which will probably be around the middle of December. What a long wait!

For now though, I'll just have this picture of chopped up mango pieces ready to be served to tide me till then. Yummy!



No comments: