Wednesday, May 28, 2014

National Cancer Research Month

Because May is National Cancer Research Month, it seems fitting that we touch on cancer awareness for this post.

Cancer battles have been on my mind of late as I've recently heard two of my closest friends being diagnosed with the disease. And although I am realistic enough to know that cancer does not discriminate and can strike anyone (even the good people), it breaks my heart that I can only help my friends with their fight in spirit.

I don't profess to know how it feels but I believe that cancer survivors are rare, brave, courageous people who face their adversity head-on no matter what. I suppose that is the only way to deal with such things.

I had recently been approached by Heather Von St James, a fellow blogger and a Mesothelioma survivor. I must admit that at first, I had no idea what Mesothelioma was. But after reading about it on Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance, I learnt of Heather's experience and knew that I had to help spread awareness about the harmful effects prolonged asbestos exposure brings about.

Wikipedia describes mesothelioma (or malignant mesothelioma) as a rare form of cancer that develops from cells of the mesothelium, the protective lining that covers many of the internal organs of the body. Asbestos exposure is the most commonly known cause of mesothelioma. Sadly, asbestos is not a banned mineral (nor is it likely to be anytime soon). So the disease will remain afflicting people with constant contact with asbestos.

In support of National Cancer Research Month, I'd like to encourage readers of this post (most especially, my fellow bloggers) to take the time and learn more about cancer. Cancer is a broad subject and if we research, learn about at least one, and share our knowledge (through our platform)....we contribute towards awareness.

We may not be able to alleviate the pain and sufferings of those that live with cancer but we show our support when we raise our voice.

To find out more about Mesothelioma and to read Heather's blog about surviving it, visit the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance website.

No comments: