Friday, October 17, 2014

An Intimate Night with Alanis

Alanis Morissette - Oct 4, 2014

I've been excited since I first heard the news that Alanis Morissette was holding an acoustic concert. That had been a few months ago. Actually, come to think of it, it could have been anything with Alanis on it and I would've remained excited regardless.

Alanis was coming to town. She's been touring all over the east coast of North America for a few months now. I had a few near hits around Ontario but some locations were just too far, and others I found out too late.

So when it was announced that she was coming into Niagara Falls, New York, I thought, "this was it!" Finally, my chance to meet the uber-talented angry rock chick from the 90s.

Alanis did not disappoint. From the moment, she came on stage until the very last song, she performed. Intelligent, articulate, candid and engaging....she is all that and more. She is Alanis Morissette after all. It's hard to believe that she was an introvert way back when (she probably still is).

She sang her hits and played the harmonica like only she can. The crowd accompanied her all the way. I've never felt so in tune with anybody as I did with everybody in the audience that night.

She's best known for her alternative rock style, but when her music is stripped of all the synthetics and there's nothing on stage except acoustic guitars, her lyrics just transcend into the wise, wise words they really are.

I cried the first few songs. I can't explain the emotional ride her music took me through. She chokes me up whenever she sings to me in my car, can you just imagine the damage she bestowed on me by singing live and so intimately that night?

No comments: