I Am Short. Embrace It!

Sunday, September 5, 2010
This is hot off the press. Well, okay, it's a few weeks old but the story was featured in a local magazine last week and caught my eye.

Apparently......backstage at a recent performance, a male teen singing sensation requested another, a female, to take her heels off before they go out to perform a duet so she would not tower over him. She flatly refused to go barefoot and said to him, "You're short. Embrace it!"

I can relate to that feeling of shame as I went through that phase when I was in my teens. Even when I was in school, I never did quite grow into the beanstalk my parents expected me to. Being vertically-challenged has plagued me all my life (pull your hankies out, real heavy insecurities surfacing through here).

I tried jumping high on New Year's Eve as the clock strikes midnight, drank little brown growth pills that tasted like bleeech!, did stretching exercises that would pull me tall.....but still, I remained my tiny form. (Actually, I grew an inch with the exercises, but who's counting? If I continued with it, I would reach 5 feet when I am 55, lol!) I somehow thought that my height (or lack of it) would equate to the life that lay ahead of me. How silly, right?

As years went by, I learnt to accept my limitation. I can even say now that my size gives me more definition as a person. I do not need to be tall to be all that I can be and do all that I can do (Age could also be a factor here, but that's for another blog).

This post is not to detract anything from anybody who is taller than 5 feet. I am petite after all, why would I wanna pick a fight? :-)

I am just saying.....I am short. And I embrace it! Have you?

P.S. Just to show how proud I am of being short, here's a sample of one moment of shortness:


I am pictured here with Terence and his wife
while doing a charity drive last year.

Okay, you can stop staring now. I know I'm a whole lotta short. I can feel the pangs of real heavy insecurities coming through again. LOL. Peace out!

2 caring thoughts:

  1. kim said...:

    Being short WAS a big deal to me during my teens, particularly high school days. But when I went to college, I was RARELY called short, I was called CUTE. NO! Not because of the face, I am not pretty, but I think it has something to do with POSITIVE DISPOSITION. I may not be as tall as other people (girs in particular) but I there is something I HAVE that they don't, and whatever it is.. it is for them to FIND OUT, lol! Simply put.. be proud of what you are! go girl!

  1. mjrodriguez said...:

    thanks, kim! almost sound like we are starting a "short" sisterhood revolution! LOL.