Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Old Topic Reposted: My Coke Fest 2007 - South Africa

One of my old concert experiences.....It's been more than 4 years ago that I saw these artists but the atmosphere that day has stayed with me. Maybe because it was my first ever "real" concert. The "My Coke Fest 2007" was held at the New Market Racecourse on 27 April 2007. Here's a recap of that day:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Truly spectacular, what can I say??! Okay, so I about 20m from the stage, and the performers are the sizes of giant ants, but the sound and atmosphere were truly amazing.

We arrived for the My Coke Fest 2007 at 10am in the morning. The concert started at about 12pm noon, kicking off with several South African bands, who were also impressive performers. The international bands came on at about 5pm, starting off with Hoobastank. I think they sang about 9 songs, I lost count after the first few that I did not recognise. But I must give credit, the lead singer was adorable to watch on stage, such character!!! You can guess I am not a fan, but they did perform their greatest hit, The Reason, which I sang along to, haha.

Second to come was Staind. I also enjoyed their performance although I think they were a bit too heavy for me. "It’s Been Awhile" and "Outside" were perfect renditions.

Thirdly (this is so like a pun!!!) 3 Doors Down came on. And I must say, they were really the highlight of the concert for me and my husband. I must confess around about this time, I had already lost my voice (some to screaming, most to singing along). I even recorded some of their songs but to my dismay, I found out later that I actually ruined the recording with my offkey voice singing along in the background :-(. What a shame. They sang "Kryptonite", "Let Me Go", "Away From the Sun", "Loser", "Here Without You", "I Can Be Like That", among others. I am definitely a fan from here on out.

Last and top-billing the concert (after Guns and Roses cancelled) was Evanescence. Amy Lee’s voice was astounding. They came on a bit late at 9.30pm and finished 11pm. They performed "Bring Me To Life", "Call Me When You’re Sober", "Good Enough", (and on encore) "My Immortal", and others. Amy Lee was great on the piano and could very well have performed solo and got away with it.

After this liberating 12-hour head-bashing experience, I shall leave you with some words of "wisdom" from one of these exceptional rockbands to hit SA shores:

"I really don’t mind what happens every now and then, as long as you’ll be my friend til the end…If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman? If I’m alive and well, will you be there holding my hand? I’ll keep you by my side with my superhuman mind…Kryptonite, YEEAAAHH!!!"

No comments: