Girls Talk - A Chuque In My Books

Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Misspelling? Where?

Gosh, I haven't had one of those in ages. Not that I have not been meaning to, it's just that spell check always stops me dead in my track. Before I can even blink, it highlights the misspelled word and I have to grudgingly correct it. Frankly, I am more worried about AutoComplete than misspellings but that will be for another post. Hehehe.....

Anyway, there was a time though when spell checks were not yet that popular and were not always turned on. I remember when I first started working 15 years ago (was it that long already? I think I'm near retirement age now), there was an incident with a misspelled word.

I was doing bank reconciliations on Lotus 1-2-3 (harhar, MS Excel wasn't quite there yet). I was so eager to impress that I tried to do the work as fast as I can. I printed bank reconciliations one after the other, month after month, client after client. All these in one afternoon.

Showed them to my boss when I was done and she was quite impressed. Although she did point out that I might be referring to outstanding cheques and not outstanding chuques (she pronounced them "chuks", like the Nintendo nunchuk). I was a little embarrassed but I thought, hey, that's the price of speed of light. At least it did not go out to be seen by the clients. 

This is my share for Girls Talk this week.

6 caring thoughts:

  1. Mirage said...:

    ahahah I read it the same; "chuk" - cute! Have you ever experienced dreaming about words in your sleep? :D

  1. Rossel said...:

    I think the Lotus revealed your age. just kidding.

    typo errors like yours are understandable during the time there were no spell checks yet.

  1. anne said...:

    oh well at least they have the same rhyme hehehe. Mine is up and its here thanks Anne’s Sweet Life

  1. Anne said...:

    i guess that realy happens...

    http://www.jaz4atot.com/2011/08/gt-most-misspelled-word.html

  1. The word "chuk" made me smile... I was trying to pronounce "chuques" myself hahaha.
    Yeah, good thing the clients didnt see it -- otherwise they'd either be wondering or laughing. hahaha!

    Here's mine: http://peachyalvarez.blogspot.com/2011/08/gt-misspelt.html
    See you again next week!

  1. chuques, like chooks, as in "chooks to go", a popular roasted chicken seller here in the philippines. hehehe. that's what first came in mind. :D