Tuesday, August 23, 2011

TCP: Josie And The Pussycats

"Life's a comic!" is the topic for Tuesday Couch Potatoes this week. Our movie choices would be films that are based on comic book characters.

And since I professed my teenage love for my all-time favourite Archie Comics, my choice for this week will be some other characters from the same comic strips I used to read.

I present to you (drumrolls please!) - Josie and the Pussycats!!!

Okay, okay. You're probably thinking what the? it's a wishy-washy choice of a film!

But well, I really loved Josie and the Pussycats when they were still in the comic books. And so when the movie came out, I did not expect anything spectacular. After all, they were comic book characters, the plot would need to be simple enough. And it was. Just like in the comics.

The film stars Rachael Leigh Cook as Josie, Rosario Dawson as Valerie and Tara Reid as Melody.

The movie begins when The Pussycats - Josie, Valerie and Melody - were discovered by a record executive who wanted to make them into popstars. It starts out like a dream come true but unbeknownst to The Pussycats the big record executive is actually using their music to send subliminal advertising messages to the public, including one where the public is persuaded to like The Pussycats' music.

The Pussycats find out in the end and they set out to destroy the "subliminal messaging" machine. They go out to perform at their first concert and let the public judge for themselves.

Like I said, it was a simple story. But it appealed to the teenage in me, the one who loved comic books :-)

For other noteworthy comic-book-come-to-life movies, join us at Tuesday Couch Potatoes.



3 comments:

Mirage said...

I can totally relate! all that said, our generation is still better lol...I wonder where Rachel is now. Happy TCP!

Shahz said...

I saw this movie a long long time ago.. love it.. nice choice..

Jona said...

i'm not familiar with this movie heehee :D
TCP this week