Monday, October 17, 2011

An Extended Family Appreciation

After a recent visit with an in-law, it actually dawned on me that by way of extended families, I am luckier than most people. I've always been slightly conscious that I could be treated like an outsider by hubby's side of the family.

You see, hubby comes from a very big family. The 10th of 11 children, the youngest son...the age gaps between the siblings span almost 2 decades. I was younger than hubby and so to me, these older brothers and sisters were really generations ahead of me. Even my hubby's youngest sister is older than me. It has always daunted me that I might not have enough social skills (being an only child) to interact with so many other family members well.

But throughout our years of marriage, I have never felt anything else than accepted by his immediate family. Granted that it probably also helps lessen any friction because we don't see each other often enough by living so far away from each other. Still, I am blessed. I integrated into their lives without (too much) scarring and bickering and hurt feelings. Most of what I have with them are good memories and wonderful interactions.

And I am truly thankful for that.

No comments: