Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Magically and Miserably Mine

Forgive me. I'm having a bit of an emo moment right now. I just want to feel both magical and miserable at the same time and this is the song that's doing it for me at the moment.
 
On a recent trip to the local library, I've managed to get my hands on one of Taylor Swift's records and Speak Now is now playing on my car radio. Specifically, "Mine" is on repeat.
 
It's been 2-3 years now but I still get teary-eye every time I hear this particular song. This is definitely one song I will never be able to sing. I can't even mouth the chorus properly without choking up the words.
 
Not that it's my life story or anything...I've found that I relate to the song on a different level. I don't have a college sweetheart nor do I have a fear of falling as the song goes. But somehow, something about the chorus really hits my spot.
 
I remember how we felt sitting by the water,
And every time I look at you, it's like the first time
I fell in love with a careless man's careful daughter
She is the best thing that's ever been mine.
 
Suddenly, a newfound admiration for Ms. Swift's songwriting dawns on me. Evoke me some emotions, do you? And it feels real good. There's no water nearby but I am starting to feel like it's the first time. I am somebody's best thing. Boy, she's good. I hit repeat again. And the cycle begins.

Yes, yes, I can see it now.

So how does my emo song compare to the one song that affects you the most?

No comments: