Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Summer Getaway Day 6 - La Citadelle du Quebec

Family photo

The tour of La Citadelle du Quebec turned out to be a much better experience than the one we did at the Plains of Abraham.

I don't know what it is with men in red uniform but I simply love looking at them as they stand guard and refuse to bat an eye or divulge a movement. I think this has something to do with my visit to the United Kingdom a few years back when I first laid eyes on a man in red uniform at Buckingham Palace....but I digress.

Hubby tries his hand at the red uniform

As I said, the visit to La Citadelle was quite enthralling. La Citadelle is perched atop the Gibraltar of America, housing Canada's Royal 22° Regiment, and is the largest British fortress built in North America (according to official website).

The tour took us to all the corners of the place. We got to see the barracks, the mess hall, the military prison, etcetera. There was so much to see and so much information to digest that it was all almost surreal.

As you enter, the gardens have various statues and a flowery reminder "Je me souviens", meaning "I Remember". It is the official motto of Quebec.

 
Right at the top we got a very good view of Quebec City.


Since it was a military attraction, it would not be complete if it didn't include cannons and tanks. We even got the chance to stay and witness the firing of the cannon.
 



The interactive museum at La Citadelle was good but I felt that the Plains of Abraham had a better one. Maybe it was because of the cool audio-visual clips that the Plains of Abraham had, clearly highlighting the battle between the French and the English. Nonetheless, La Citadelle, as a whole, was entertaining and full of military history tidbits, if you're into that kind of thing.
 

No comments: