Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Memory of a Taste



Instagram photo by jamie250196

I used to be an addict.

My substance of choice was nothing as lethal as drugs or cigarettes or alcohol, but I had a serious condition nonetheless. I was addicted to drinking fizzy drinks. And not just any pop soda, I was all into the real deal Coca-Cola.

Back then, a 2-litre Coca-Cola bottle was a staple item on my daily diet. I used to buy my supply in crates and could literally down a whole 2-litre bottle all by my lonesome every single day.

Now I'm not gonna argue and debate all the bad that drinking Coke can bring. I still love my Coke so I won't be bashing it away just yet. Anyway, I always believed that moderation and maybe a bit of self-restraint, was the obvious key.

Suffice it to say I keep my Coke-drinking down to a minimum nowadays. I can't remember when it was but I did eventually realise that I needed to tone it down if I wanted to lead a healthier, less sluggish lifestyle. I reduced my intake drastically. And if I had the urge, I took the alternatives, Diet Coke and Coke Zero, instead.

The funny thing though....is that when I used to drink the real Coke, I could identify its distinct flavour and how it differed from the rest of the choices in the market. Ever since I've stucked with Diet Coke et al, I've found that my taste buds no longer clamor for that unique zing. I'm fine with whatever dark fizzy drink is in front of me.

I know this is supposed to be a good thing. I'm getting over the taste, and the addiction somewhat. The memory of it all is another story though. I still vividly recount that I was once so addicted to it that my palate knew no other.

Simply can't shake the feeling that I've lost my taste bud mojo somewhere.

But who am I kidding? It's all in my crazy head. I am still in recovery after all. Whatever memory of a distinct taste I have in my mind, it is just probably best to leave it be.

To any of you guys who were former supposedly Coke addicts, have you found the difference?

No comments: