Monday, September 17, 2012

Movie Review: The Hunger Games

From Wikipedia


I think I may have fallen into the trap again.

A few years ago, when I first heard of the Twilight series, I did not think that I would be affected so much. However, after watching the first Twilight movie, I was suddenly overcome to buy the whole series on paperback. It took me a week to finish the 4 books. By the time the second Twilight movie came out, I had the whole story embedded on my head.

Of course, I wouldn't say that I'm a Twi-hard fan. I just had a mild obsession after watching the movie. I occasionally get these teenage symptoms. No biggie. Although I think it might cause some alarm to say that I am almost middle-aged and I'm still getting these tendencies. LOL.
 
This past weekend, the family decided to rent The Hunger Games on DSTV BoxOffice. I must admit, I was quite impressed. It's not the greatest film I've seen and I did find the ending slightly disappointing (I think they were prepping the movie for the sequel)...but it certainly has captured my imagination enough that I want to go on and read the books. I have even already gotten the electronic version of the whole series.

Set in the future where two tributes from each of the twelve districts are selected to fight to the death on live television. The story revolves around Katniss Everdeen (captivatingly portrayed by Jennifer Lawrence) who volunteered to become a tribute to take her younger sister's place. Joined by the male tribute from her district, Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson in real life, who reminded me so much of Dash Incredible), Katniss and Peeta travel to the Capitol to train with Haymitch Abernathy (Woody Harrelson) before the match.

And the day finally arrives and the Games begin. One by one, the tributes fall. The movie evolves into almost like a "Running Man" feel (If you're as old as me, you'll remember that old Arnold Schwarzenegger movie).

Without giving away too much, the film is one of raw emotions, inner strength and undeniable bravery. For me, Katniss really stood out like a female gladiator in this live-or-die arena.

I can't wait to dig my way into the book series! And hopefully, by the time the second movie instalment comes out (which I'm sure it will), I would have all the words off by heart.

In the words of the movie: May the odds be always in your favour!

No comments: