Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Nearly Sixteen...But Not Just Yet

“Oh….her eyes, her eyes make the stars look like they’re not shining,
Her hair, her hair falls perfectly without her trying.
She’s so beautiful and I tell her every day.”
                                        – Bruno Mars, Just The Way You Are

Today she celebrates being fifteen.

Fifteen. Past the awkward thirteen and just short of the dreaded sixteen. Dreaded because just like a scene from The Sound of Music, I can hear the hills singing faintly about being “sixteen going on seventeen”.

Not so long now. That boy singing about “seventeen going on eighteen” better not show up at my house yet!

Because for now, we are celebrating her fifteen-ness.

She, who when asked to do something, will in turn delegate to her much younger sister.

She, who doesn't mind being a bad girl in the making.

She, who will offer her domestic services, for a set of bikini.

She, who will have to be asked thrice, to clean her room…and still forget to do it.

She, the coffee master, who makes coffee with more sugar than coffee in it.

She, who is born bright, but lazy as hell, to study. (Now does this not remind me of me?)

She, who gives me instructions on how to be cool, even when I insist on being un-cool by rolling on the bed with laughter.

She, who makes her cellular phone a part of her anatomy.

She, who calls me un-funny, but laughs at my jokes anyway.

She, who brags about her mom, and tells her friends that I am the Queen of England. (Call me Elizabeth then.)

She, who will talk to me about a boy and other boys, even though she knows that the subject is a no-further-talk-zone.

Hmmm….with this list, you think maybe I should call that boy to come earlier?

Happy birthday to my gal!


MZ with her cardboard pirate, which makes mommy happy :-)

1 comment:

MZ said...

That cardboard pirate isn't going to be cardboard for long. Thanks ma. ;)